DocStar Migration to SharePoint Online for Real Estate Firm
03 November 2021
The client is a leading real estate company based in New York.
The client had nearly 6 TB of data in DocStar and with the support of the legacy system ending, the client wanted to migrate all the data from DocStar to SharePoint Online
The client faced several challenges as there was no tool available in the market to support the migration and needed reverse engineering of the database and file server structure. Additionally, the documents were in large numbers and could not be grouped into a single SharePoint document library and hence required breaking down the structure into several SharePoint document library folders.
- The solution executed by Star Knowledge involved mapping the file structure of DocStar to the local file system. Additionally, it was discovered, since the documents in DocStar were broken into pages that required grouping logically.
- The proposed solution involved architecture planning, role-based access control definitions, and file distribution structure to overcome the SharePoint file threshold of 5000.
- The data was mapped and migrated to SharePoint online with metadata and files grouped by term sets appropriate. Enterprise content search was enabled to scan and search for nearly 5 Million files that were migrated using ShareGate.
- Enterprise search and group by enabled easier search and management in SharePoint.
- All data were migrated to SharePoint and the DocStar server was decommissioned.
- The information architecture was planned such that performance was always optimal.
- Role-based access control was enabled on document libraries.
- Microsoft 365
- SharePoint Online
Star Knowledge is a SharePoint consultant who has a proven track record of delivering the best services to customers, Have a similar project? Get in touch with us to discuss your SharePoint requirements.